Privacy 101 - Removing EXIF Data From Images [Published]

edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
How to remove EXIF data from images

exifmetadata.gif

What do?

A short guide now :D When uploading pictures to the internet, you also upload a certain amount of EXIF data with it. The EXIF data can contain hidden information like camera make, date taken, resolution and in some cases even the location and the name of the camera owner.

To avoid this information appearing in your uploaded pictures (and to reduce the filesize a little), you can strip the EXIF data from the image using this tool...

http://www.softpedia.com/downloadTag/EXIF+Data+Stripper

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I personally use STRIPPER. It's portable and can easily take care of any EXIF data.
    STRIPPER Download

It works on Windows 7 and below. No need to install, just run the exe and it will create an .ini file and just drag whatever file you want on to the window and it will remove the extra bits making size smaller as well. And it doesn't affect the quality of the picture.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Network (in)Security
    CMS Status:
  • lampylampy Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    I found Small Image for mac here it can edit different sorts of info, allows you to keep the icon or not, and it's freeware so you pay what it's worth to you.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    "imagemagick' Linux represents. :cool:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    Irfanview has the same ability.
    edited April 2011
    Irfanview has the same ability.
    I've heard of it before but never tried it.
    Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7.
    This is why...^ :( I've heard good reviews about it though. :)
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited April 2011
    $ convert -strip imageWithExif.jpg imageWithoutExif.jpg

or
    $ mogrify -strip image.jpg

or even
    $ mogrify -strip *.jpg

to strip all exif data.

Convert/Mogrify come with the imagemagick package. It's available for all platforms.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited April 2011
    I just always used EXIF Tag Remover. I'm more interested in EXIF editors.
    edited April 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »

Convert/Mogrify come with the imagemagick package. It's available for all platforms.
    OoSome :cool:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Snagit Editor can also remove EXIF info. I use Stripper which is portable and light weight.
    edited April 2011
    On the opposite side of this thread discussion.
    Find the nigga that ripped your camera tool.
    http://www.stolencamerafinder.com
  • edited April 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    On the opposite side of this thread discussion.
    Find the nigga that ripped your camera tool.
    http://www.stolencamerafinder.com

Now THAT is awesome. Thanks for posting - now I just need to write down my camera's serial number and we're good to go. Nice to know that if my camera is ever stolen, it can be found again through this method.

Only a fool doesn't remove EXIF data!
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Nice to know that if my camera is ever stolen, it can be found again through this method.
    Unless they read this thread of course. :D
  • edited May 2011
    Nick wrote: »
    I think that the serial number of the cam is not on those info, but either way , even if it is, my cam is bought directly from Japan:D

Edited ..nope...the serial is not there, sorry guys, and I haven't played with this camera yet so it's factory defaults.

Huh? The serial number DOES have a field in the EXIF data dude. Whether it shows up or not is down to the way your camera is set up.
  • pabpab Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    trx, in which exactly EXIF field is the camera serial number actually stored? I don't see any unique codes in Irfan's viewer.

By the way, I prefer to delete metadata with the help of this EXIF remover -- it can effectively handle batches of pictures. Thus protecting my privacy on the net.
  • edited May 2011
    If you're on Windows 7, it shows up in the EXIF data from just using the built-in EXIF reader which windows has. There's a little box titled "Serial Number" :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2011
    I want a screenshot of the field that says serial number, there is no such thing , not on my knowledge at least.

Ugh, I'm not booting into Windows just for that dude. Just believe me when I say that there's one there, for me at least. What version of Windows are you running?

For me, it's Windows 7 Ultimate. It might be different for other versions, I dunno.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited June 2011
    What do these downloadable EXIF data removers do that the data remover built into Windows 7 doesn't?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    Funny, I was just looking for this thread. I need this to strip the pictures for the guide I'll soon be writing.
  • edited June 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    What do these downloadable EXIF data removers do that the data remover built into Windows 7 doesn't?

In some cases they may or may not be more thorough. I dunno though, I don't use Windows any more. Which reminds me - if you're using Linux and want to do this then you can install Jhead, which is pretty good. Then you run the command

jhead -purejpg filepath

That will strip all EXIF data, and you can even use it on whole directories at the same time by substituting a filename for an asterisk, like this...

jhead -purejpg /home/totsean/Desktop/imagedirectory/*.jpg