Why we use Linux.

edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
I was just having a look through the stuff on Tumblr and came across an interesting post about Linux and it's uses. Check it out;
We tell people we use Linux because it’s secure, or because it’s free, because it’s customizable, because it’s open, because it has excellent community support…

But all of that is just marketing crap. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldn’t understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.

But deep underneath, the real reason remains.

We use Linux because it’s fun.

It’s fun to tinker with your system. It’s fun to change all the settings, break the system, then have to go to recovery mode to repair it. It’s fun to have over a hundred distrobutions to choose from. It’s fun to use the command line.

Let me say that again: it’s fun to use the command line.

No wonder non-Linuxers wouldn’t understand.

The point with Linux fans is we use Linux for its own sake. Sure, we like to get work done. Sure, we like to be secure from viruses. Sure, we like to save money, but those are only side effects. What we really like is playing with the system, poking around, and discovering facts about the software that lies underneath it.

http://zacharygretzinger.tumblr.com/post/5001059550

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Amen, I don't use Linux but whenever I do it's mostly for the love of CLI. Makes me want to learn new commands :p.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited May 2011
    Arch Linux is amazing!

Also..

195899d1297841147-os-funny-picture-wars-windows-vs-linux-vs-mac-vs
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Krane wrote: »
    Arch Linux is amazing!

Amen to that!

To OP: True, tinkering with Linux is just fun. I sometimes even get bored with Arch Linux because everything is so simple and usually just works. Then I install the lates plug-and-play flavour on my distro-testing machine and I immediatly know why Arch Linux is my preferred distro.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    Arch Linux

It's a shame about the package signing... I really want to build it in but I don't know where to start!
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »
    It's a shame about the package signing... I really want to build it in but I don't know where to start!

If you really want to help develop it, I think the guys who are assigned to this bug are supposed to be working on it, but AFAIK they're incredibly busy. Maybe contact them and offer help?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5331
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    But all of that is just marketing crap. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldn’t understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.
    How can you be marketing something that's free?