Megaupload: DOWN!

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
welp megaupload - the umbrella company for all the mega* sites has been raided by the FBI on charges of piracy. To be exact: encouraging piracy.

Apparently it's based in New Zealand.

The owner of the mega* franchise is Kim Schmitz aka kimble, he is basically the poster-child for undeserved wealth. A liar and a cheater. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Schmitz

Here's a photo of the fat fuck:
1250423555irahxnoj.jpg

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    Well considering he is a fat fuck, I think FBI did him a favor.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited January 2012
    It's funny how he's megasized.

Though you have to say, we're all gonna miss Megaupload.

I say at 12PM EST, let's observe a 72 minute moment of silence in memory of Megaupload.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2012
    I say at 12PM EST, let's observe a 72 minute moment of silence in memory of Megaupload.

restarts modem. timer reset.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    I don't feel for them http://t.co/ZEKDQj9n they had it coming.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    I have no problem with this on the whole. I am an old school (read 1980's) pitate. We did what we did for principle not for profit. Assholes like this are the ones who add fuel to the fire for shit like SOPA. The only problem I have with this is how the FBI, you know the one that my tax dollars pay for, are now the international goon squad for Hollywood and the RIAA. If the sites are hosted in the U.S. and the people live in the U.S. fine. But the FBI is not, under it's mandate, and international police force for the mega rich.

But in the end these greedy fuckers who shat all over the whole pirates creed of no profit deserved what they got. It is just too bad that all of us who still fight the good fight are getting lumped in with this fat worthless prick. This is just the sort of impetus that the sponsors of SOPA need to pull their wagon full of lies over the top.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I know it wasn't all piracy, and there was some CP there, but in all fairness I have a feeling this was because RapidShare holds a bigger slice of the market and Megaupload was an easy target, not least with the whole SOPA Act being shit out. I hard;y used the site (as like many others, there are hundreds of mirrors) but the fact it's taken down goes to show for a lot.
    Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.

The site's founders have been charged with violating piracy laws.

Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

BBC source
    US authorities shut down Megaupload.com over copyright infringement
    A major internet content hosting website, Megaupload.com, its founders and several employees have been charged by US authorities for a massive copyright infringement scheme, the latest skirmish in a battle against piracy of movies and music.

Telegraph source

And sorry, but the whole SOPA thing makes me think of this and want to cry
    edited January 2012
    I merged you there RemadE.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    It looks like the NZ government is bowing to US interests. Fucking pricks, It has nothing to do with NZ. Sure if he had been in the US at the time of his arrest I wouldn't give a fuck but while he is in my country they are shit out of luck. They never broke any local laws yet the FBI/us government/RIAA/Hollywood think that they can waste my tax dollars on having someone detained over a crime committed in another jurisdiction.
    The arrests today, carried out by the Organised & Financial Crime Agency New Zealand (OFCANZ) and New Zealand Police, follow a US request to arrest individuals for the purpose of extradition.

Our extradition laws are shit. They will allow any country to have a NZ citizen to be extradited to any country except if the punishment is death or torture.

/rant
    edited January 2012
    Lol cheers Rodent. I was pretty tired when I made the thread and didn't see one when I created it. I know what you mean about old school pirates though. Don't copy that floppy! It was there to serve a demand, not to have a middleman like this guy. People don't know true Piracy these days for the most part and it scares me.
    Soon enough we will all be marching to the same tune.
    edited January 2012
    This sets a very dangerous precedent that will strike a massive blow against international electronic freedom here fellahs.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    This is the toe in the door to the control of the internet by the corporations that want to control every aspect of our lives, and driven by avarice. The internet is the most powerful tool the man in the street has for truth and equality. It can bring down governments. Look at the summer of Arab discontent. Look at Ron Paul.
    edited January 2012
    They fear the internet because they can't control the truth and pervert it there like they can with TV, radio, and print.
    edited January 2012
    I was thinking: what jurisdiction is all this under? Since when can the FBI raid people in non-US countries for breaking US law? If they broke NZ law, why aren't the NZ authorities (lol) doing all this? Since when has US law become international law?
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    Since the advent of the extradition.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Its not as bad as the US sending a few FBI agents to help out. Their agents should be fucking deported along with their embassy staff. To me its no different to my neighbour coming into my house and telling me how to run my life.
    the team of four FBI staff working on the searches would also continue to do so "for the next few days"

I don't hate the people of America or your country but I hate your government. I'm strongly against my country getting involved with bullshit international problems.
    I was thinking: what jurisdiction is all this under? Since when can the FBI raid people in non-US countries for breaking US law? If they broke NZ law, why aren't the NZ authorities (lol) doing all this? Since when has US law become international law?

They haven't broken any local laws, the US government asked for them to be arrested. And our government wonder why we bitch about police resources and tax dollars being wasted on bullshit like this. Worry about the rapists and other scum, dont worry about problems that aren't fucking ours.

On the subject of Kim Schmitz, I don't give a shit about the guy. He was dumb enough to get caught.
    edited January 2012
    We hate our government too ever since it has become the tools of the international rat fuck bankers in 1917.
    edited January 2012
    SO apparantly when his megamansion was raided they found him in a safe with a sawn-off shotgun.

kim-schmitz-neuseeland.jpg
    edited January 2012
    Seriously?
    edited January 2012
    lol. If he wasn't going to use it, why did he have it with him?
    When police arrived, Mr Schmitz entered the house and activated electronic locks, Detective Inspector Grant Wormald said. Police neutralised the locks and then had to cut their way into a safe room, where Mr Schmitz was found with what looked like a sawn-off shotgun, Inspector Wormald said.
    http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/police-find-upload-mogul-in-23m-mansions-safe-room-20120120-1qa8g.html#ixzz1kB15xxrV
    edited January 2012
    He just looks like the sort of fat disgusting fuck who head you want to pinch off like a grape.
    edited January 2012
    Should have used it on himself :angry: