Racism in the White House

GallowsGallows Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
As some of you know, Shirley Sherrod, a black agricultural department employee, was fired for a racist decision she made in the past. Particularly, while working for a private company, she did not help a farmer because he was white.

The case took a turn today when the White House officially apologized for firing her. They claim they did not initially know all the facts. This is somewhat confusing to the average rational citizen, since no new facts came to light. And I'm not really sure how the White House can paint quotes, such as this one, in a positive light:

"When I made that commitment I was making that commitment to black people and to black people only"(Sherrod).

And she admits to not helping someone because of the color of their skin. The woman clearly is a racist. I don't give a fuck if she's uttered face-saving addenda since then.

Oh but wait...can black people ever be racist? Would a president, who sat in a pew complacently listening to hate speech for years, ever consider a black person to be a racist?

Of course not.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_usda_racism_resignation

Unfortunately this isn't the first time the White House has fucked up on a 'race issue.' Remember 'beergate'?

Refresher: A Latina woman called the police after seeing Gates acting suspiciously. The police arrived on the scene and Gates became belligerent. The multiracial team of police officers decided that per police protocol Gates should be arrested. Of course, it was the white police officers that were deemed racist. What about the Latina woman who made the phone call? What about the black officer who was involved with the arrest?

Comments

• Oink The PigOink The Pig Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Are you fucking retarded dumbass. Go look up the definition of racism. its white on black prejudice thats racism. maybe if you had read the history books instead of using the papers to roll joints youd know this
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you fucking retarded dumbass. Go look up the definition of racism. its white on black prejudice thats racism. maybe if you had read the history books instead of using the papers to roll joints youd know this
    Definition:
    # the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
    # discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

Where does it say it has to be on a nigger? :confused:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010

Bull fucking shit Racism is discrimnating against anyone based on race. Are you really gonna try to say its only racism if its white on black? :facepalm:
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    Bull fucking shit Racism is discriminating against anyone based on race. Are you really gonna try to say its only racism if its white on black? :facepalm:
    He was just trolling, although he did capture the sentiments of most black people well.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, you mean the white farmer that she ended up helping? The one that went on news-shows with his wife testifying to the fact that she's the only reason they got to keep their land?

She was asked to resign because the Obama administration intends to take away every bullshit argument that the right presents. Fox news took something out of context, but people bought it, so she's out.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, you mean the white farmer that she ended up helping?
    I am referring to the white farmer who was discriminated against because of the color of his skin.
    The one that went on news-shows with his wife testifying to the fact that she's the only reason they got to keep their land?
    Wow, are you telling me that she actually did her job after discriminating against the man? This woman deserves a medal! Alert the press!
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    The Obama administration had initially supported the decision of Tom Vilsack, the agriculture secretary, to force the resignation of Shirley Sherrod after a misleadingly edited version of a speech she gave in March caused outrage on the internet. The edited clips, put out by Andrew Breitbart of the conservative site BigGovernment.com, who has worked with the leading rightwing blogger Matt Drudge, gave the impression that Sherrod had boasted about having discriminated against a white farmer 24 years ago.

But when the full footage of the speech was released hours later, it became clear that she was recounting the story as a parable for why every poor person deserved to be helped equally, whatever their race.

As the furore swirled, Eloise Spooner, the wife of the white farmer in question, came to Sherrod's defence, saying: "We probably wouldn't have our farm today if it hadn't been for her."

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/21/white-house-shirley-sherrod
  • edited July 2010
    Gallows wrote: »
    I am referring to the white farmer who was discriminated against because of the color of his skin.

Wow, are you telling me that she actually did her job after discriminating against the man? This woman deserves a medal! Alert the press!

The man was on television (The same man she allegedly discriminated against) telling everyone how he wasn't discriminated against.

This woman is in trouble for what she said she was thinking at the time (Racist thoughts, but she didn't act on them, thus no discrimination), not for anything she actually did, or anything that there's proof she did.

Vicky wrote: »

That, lol.

This is just more bullshit from the right-wing media, same as all that Van Jones garbage. I started smelling the bullshit behind this as soon as the people that Fox said she discriminated against and fucked over went on TV and said the opposite.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    The man was on television (The same man she allegedly discriminated against) telling everyone how he wasn't discriminated against.
    Sherrod admitted that she modified the assistance she gave to the man due to his skin color. So are you saying that she is lying?
  • edited July 2010
    Sherrod admitted that she modified the assistance she gave to the man due to his skin color. So are you saying that she is lying?

I'm saying that the clip was cut short and played out of context, and that the man that she allegedly discriminated against has come out defending her, saying that she is indeed the only reason he kept his property.

As for whether or not she's lying, when the farmers wife was read what Sherrod said about not doing all she could do, she replied with "She gave enough that it helped us save our farm."
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm saying that the clip was cut short and played out of context, and that the man that she allegedly discriminated against has come out defending her, saying that she is indeed the only reason he kept his property.
    Have you read any of my previous posts? I've already stated that I don't believe that the actions following her bout of racism redeem her character.

The bottom line is this: Sherrod was(possibly is) a racist. Are you denying that she ever was a racist?
  • edited July 2010
    Have you read any of my previous posts? I've already stated that I don't believe that the actions following her bout of racism redeem her character.

The bottom line is this: Sherrod was(possibly is) a racist. Are you denying that she ever was a racist?

First of all, if you listen to her comments, what she said she did wasn't out of racism, it was out of spite because of the way he was allegedly acting towards her (Something about acting superior because he was white).

Whether or not she is a racist is irrelevant. What needs to be proven here is whether or not she actually did anything to discriminate against him, because right now what we have is a tape of Sherrod saying she didn't do all she could for these people, and the people themselves saying she did. Basically, the only example of what could even be construed as racism here is in the story she told years after she helped this family save their farm.

She'll probably get her job back once all this silly bullshit has settled.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    First of all, if you listen to her comments, what she said she did wasn't out of racism, it was out of spite because of the way he was allegedly acting towards her (Something about acting superior because he was white).
    Regardless of the cause, her actions were racist in nature.
    Whether or not she is a racist is irrelevant.
    Perhaps to you, but not to me. I don't want anyone with a past history of racism in public office. I felt the same way about Senator Byrd, etc.
  • edited July 2010
    Regardless of the cause, her actions were racist in nature.

How do you know?

How is it possible to actually know if she did anything to wrong this man other than thinking something? According to the farmer, her only action was saving his farm.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    How do you know?

How is it possible to actually know if she did anything to wrong this man other than thinking something? According to the farmer, her only action was saving his farm.
    I'm basing my opinion off of Sherrod's statements.

On a different note, how did this farmer know that he was the one that Sherrod was referring to? I'm not saying that anything suspicious occurred, but I am curious. Do you think he was contacted by Sherrod's people?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm basing my opinion off of Sherrod's statements.

You know, I'm the guy who put Polonium in Alexander Litvinenko's sushi. Must be true seeing as I said it.
    On a different note, how did this farmer know that he was the one that Sherrod was referring to? I'm not saying that anything suspicious occurred, but I am curious. Do you think he was contacted by Sherrod's people?

Nobody has questioned whether or not this is the one she referred to, but the farmer, his wife and Sherrod all say it's the truth.

EDIT: Turn on the news, lol. They got the farmer and Sherrod next to each other. He's even got his arm around her. I'll be shocked if she doesn't have her job back (Or gain employment in another area of the government) by next week.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh well white people do the same thing more often get over it.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, I'm the guy who put Polonium in Alexander Litvinenko's sushi. Must be true seeing as I said it.
    You're questioning the reliability of the person you're defending? Interesting.
    Nobody has questioned whether or not this is the one she referred to, but the farmer, his wife and Sherrod all say it's the truth.
    I'm not questioning it either. I'm just saying it's strange. There are really three possibilities here: a) the farmer was watching the news and said, 'Oh shit, she might be referring to me,' b) Sherrod told her people to call him and have him make an appearance, or c) Sherrod's people paid someone to pretend to be the farmer.

I'm thinking 'b.'

But really, you're missing my whole point. Sherrod's comments indicate that she was once racist, therefore I oppose her having a position in public office. That's it. I personally don't care if she helped the man after she discriminated against him. Hell, I don't care if she had a threesome with the man and his wife. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But I'm going to retire from this thread before we both repeat the same thing a few dozen more times.
  • edited July 2010
    You're questioning the reliability of the person you're defending? Interesting.

No, lol. I'm saying that if to you, her saying she did something is proof enough that she did it, then how could you possibly question me when I say that I have done something?
    I'm not questioning it either. I'm just saying it's strange. There are really three possibilities here: a) the farmer was watching the news and said, 'Oh shit, she might be referring to me,' b) Sherrod told her people to call him and have him make an appearance, or c) Sherrod's people paid someone to pretend to be the farmer.

I'm thinking 'b.'

That's nice. Find proof and maybe that'll become a valid point.
    But really, you're missing my whole point. Sherrod's comments indicate that she was once racist, therefore I oppose her having a position in public office. That's it. I personally don't care if she helped the man after she discriminated against him. Hell, I don't care if she had a threesome with the man and his wife. You obviously disagree, which is fine. But I'm going to retire from this thread before we both repeat the same thing a few dozen more times.

Oh, so now it's that she was once racist? The fact of the matter here is that until Fox news started running this story, nobody had made any accusationa of racism or discrimination against Sherrod.

The entire point of her telling the story regarding Mr. Spooner was so that she could end it with:
    Sherrod wrote:
    Working with him made me see that it's really about those who have versus those who haven't. They could be black, they could be white, they could be Hispanic. And it made me realize then that I needed to help poor people - those who don't have access the way others have

This whole thing is obvious media bullshit. That's why the white-house apologized and that's why Sherrod has been offered another job in the same department.