Career In Psychology

PeoplePeople Acolyte
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I was visiting a college today and there was this list of majors they have. Quite a few. My eyes landed on psychology and I had a moment of curiosity. I was planning on a physics degree, but psychology interested me a lot all of a sudden.

I'm reading that it is definitely one of the more diverse fields, branching off into basically every aspect of human life. I wouldn't want to go into clinical field or school field just because those seem boring.

What appeals to me would be an existential study of how people develop their personalities. Is personality developed by itself in the mind of the person or is it a grouping of different traits from every relationship and experience a person has had? That interests me tons because I often ponder it, but developing a career on it? I'm not too sure.

Also, it would be very interesting to study the brain as well as the mind, if you know what I mean. To see the connections of thoughts and brain functions, so I would need some biology, chemistry, and even medical training for that, right?

Overall, it seems like a very interesting career path to take now that I'm thinking about what I'm going to do with my life. Any branches I'm missing that would be interesting? And if I did pursue the existential path, could I make a living at all?

Comments

• MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    psychology is one of those things where it seems like a great idea, but when it comes to employment, its a lot more difficult. not impossible of course, but difficult due to the number of psych majors out there and the relatively low number of professional psych jobs out there. However, it is an interesting thing to study, which is the first thing you should be worried about.
  • PeoplePeople Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    That's what I figured. I would guess any career would be boring and clinical, which would definitely be something I wouldn't want to do.

Of course, I wouldn't need to determine a major until the end of sophomore year. I could always study a class or two of it to satisfy what I think of it.
  • DrakeDrake Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    People wrote: »
    Also, it would be very interesting to study the brain as well as the mind, if you know what I mean. To see the connections of thoughts and brain functions, so I would need some biology, chemistry, and even medical training for that, right?

Neuroscience might be a good fit for you since it is the midpoint between biology and psychology. There are positions in research in all the different fields of psychology, but you will typically need to get a graduate degree. If you decide on neuroscience then you might have to take some biology prerequisite classes, but I've never heard of a psych major having to take any complex biology courses (besides neuroscience) or any chemistry at all.
  • edited July 2010
    Nobody needs BSc psychologists, ever, you will find no work.

Get a masters or PhD, or better yet. Psychiatry MD.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited July 2010
    Nobody needs BSc psychologists
    This. If you don't intend to pursue education beyond your bachelor's degree, then do not do psychology, for you will be stuck being a 'counselor' of some sort.
  • Sasha GrapeSasha Grape Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm a psych major... just for the hell of it. I know it's not gonna help me career-wise, but it's interesting stuff, I suppose.
    That being said, your bachelor's degree doesn't mean shit these days anyway, so why not study what you want and then go to grad school for the "real" degree.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm also a psych major, and will be starting this September. I chose it knowing that a BSc will be worthless (what isn't?) but it's one of those subjects I really enjoy, plus the Psych department is full of characters. Eventually, I'll have to go for graduate or professional school to make my education worth anything.

It's really up to how far you're willing to go. Almost all of the psych teachers and profs I've had have a deep love of psychology, especially with the more exotic research they do, so it seems like it can be quite fulfilling if you make the most of it.
  • PeoplePeople Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I would definitely go for a masters or Ph.d in any field I end up in. No question. Neuroscience is interesting me as well, but I really don't know if that's what I would want to do. College is all about learning and knowledge, and I'm going to be sure I take in as much as possible. So the more diverse classes the better. Who knows what I'll end up doing.

But the brain and personality of people really interest me :D
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    I was going to do a masters in Psychology after my undergraduate Psychology degree, but I'm actually going to medical school to study psychiatry. Don't worry, you won't have to start again, since psychology contains various science units which allow you to take a graduate level degree in Psychiatry, but I guess this depends on your college. I'll only be there for 4 years (as opposed to 7, since I already got my degree) and will move onto paid on-the-job training for 2 years. Daily MD, brah.

Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs. :thumbsup:
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    I was going to do a masters in Psychology after my undergraduate Psychology degree, but I'm actually going to medical school to study psychiatry. Don't worry, you won't have to start again, since psychology contains various science units which allow you to take a graduate level degree in Psychiatry, but I guess this depends on your college. I'll only be there for 4 years (as opposed to 7, since I already got my degree) and will move onto paid on-the-job training for 2 years. Daily MD, brah.

Psychiatrists can prescribe drugs. :thumbsup:
    What country are you from? And what do you mean by 'Psychiatry degree'?
  • OnTheFringeOnTheFringe Acolyte
    edited August 2010
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^PBF is awesome. Probably need to see a psychologist after reading all their comics :p
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    Nobody needs BSc psychologists, ever, you will find no work.

Get a masters or PhD, or better yet. Psychiatry MD.

To obtain a decent job with a psychology degree, you need to reach at least masters...even then, jobs will be hard to come by and the pay for the amount of college you need is not a fair trade off.

That being said, if you love-love psychology, then go for it! To me, being happy in a job is more important that the pay....to an extent. :P